Thursday, March 13, 2008

Overview of Topic

My topic concerns the ever-popular use of water bottles. Even though many companies have recently launched campaigns where they reduce the plastic used for the water bottles by 30% in order to "go green," the widespread use of water bottles, the majority of which accumulate to form mountains of plastic, is largely detrimental to the environment. The barrels of oil used to make the water bottles and ship them to their respective sites are in the millions, and endless landfills are consisted of millions of bottles--all of which could be recycled. This issue is a point of debate between my parents and I: I am always trying to get them to recycle water bottles and/or buy Nalgene products; they argue that one family's output will not make a difference. In addition to having a personal connection to this issue, this topic also arises frequently among newpaper articles or magazine specials I come across, and after reading several papers about it, I've become interested. The public should revert back to utilizing tap water, water fountains, and/or public water facilities.

2 comments:

Katie G. said...

I totally agree with plastics being wasted and damaging the environment. After cleaning my room I find an average of 10 water bottles that have completely gone to waste. I drink about 4 water bottles a day when I should be refilling the same 1 bottle. The new 30% less plastic water bottles really don't seem to be all that less plastic. It also means that you're getting 30% less water, thus causing people to buy even more water bottles. It is definitely a growing problem that will eventually become a serious one.

jennmay said...

I agree with your assertion that every person can help to make a difference! (Every little bit coutns.)

I'm sure you have already found it but I read a really interesting article the other day about how America uses and wastes the most water bottles out of any other country, but we are also one of the countries with the most consistently clean and reliable water sources.

Ugh. Good luck!